Friday, August 20, 2010

GRAB LIFE BY THE BOOK! - Part 1

I've always lived my life "by the book." I'm a rule follower and I find great comfort in that. Funny thing this is, since I've decided to live my life according to God's Book, I've never been more of a renegade, rebel and all out rule-breaker in my entire life...at least according to the world's rule book.

I love God's Word. I want to know it and study it and teach it, and live it till the day I die. My dream for Penny Bennett Totes is to encourage everyone I can to "Grab Life by the Book" - God's Book - and live it with passion, abandon, joy, courage and power. I want us to get it out of the bookshelf and into our lives. Mark Twain said the definition of a Classic is "a book people praise but nobody reads." Funny but true, no? Wouldn't you sometimes just prefer to see the movie. LOL. Me too!

But, what if you read this book review in the paper or in a magazine?

"This Book is full of living power, sharper than the sharpest dagger cutting swift and deep into our innermost thoughts and desires, and exposing us for who we really are. This Book accomplishes everything the Writer intended and is changing the lives of everyone who reads it!"

Come on, now! Wouldn't you go straight to Barnes and Noble to get that book? And, then everyone would be reading it and talking about it, and it'd be the Oprah Book Club Selection and then.... well you know what happens from there. LOL.

Well, this "review" is exactly what the Bible says about the power of God's Word in Isaiah 55 and Hebrews 4. (my paraphrase) It's an awesome book! It's God's Word, His plans, His story, His law! His Love! In Deuteronomy 6 God says "And you must think constantly about these commandments I am giving you today. You must teach them to your children and talk about them when you are home or out for a walk; at bedtime and the first thing in the morning. Tie them on your finger, wear them on your forehead, and write them on the doorposts of your house!"

I remember the first time I came across these scriptures after I started diving into the Bible, I thought "man He ain't kiddin'. I think He wants me to read this book." LOL. I've been in love ever since.

I led a Bible Study at church called "Grab Life by the Book" where I simply wanted to tear down the walls of intimidation, or fear or disinterest - or whatever holds us back - and encourage people to face their fear, take the dive and experience the pure joy of reading God's beautiful Word. I wanted to inspire us to not settle for sound-bytes and cliff notes, but allow ourselves to really dive in deep and "grab life by the Book".

I thought it would be fun to revisit that class thru the pages of my blog so here it is: Part 1 of "Grab Life by the Book". I don't know how many parts we're talkin', I'm just gonna go where it leads me. But, I'm determined that the Bible is one "Classic" I will not only praise but actually read! I hope you'll join me and tell all your friends to join you! So grab your Bible - and your sense of adventure - and just take your dive. See where it takes you! It's an amazing ride and I gaurantee (or rather He does!) you won't regret it.

And away we go!!

1 comment:

  1. I love 2Tim.3:16-17 and John 1:1. Read 'em!
    What an aliveness we experience in His Word! It is hardly ink on paper... oh, no!!! It IS His living breath into us, to our very souls. Our true "inspiration," in both biological and spiritual terms. I heard you teach this, Penny, and can't wait to see it! Word up!

    ReplyDelete