Friday, August 27, 2010

GRAB LIFE BY THE BOOK - Part 2! Entering the "TWILIGHT" ZONE

So! What's the 1st book you ever read that completely seized you?

From the moment you started reading you couldn't put it down. And, when you were finished you wanted to go straight from the last page back to the first because you couldn't bear for it to end? What made you want to read that book in the first place? Did someone tell you about it? Maybe you heard a great review or everyone was talking about it and you were just plain curious?

Well, that's sorta how my love affair with the Bible began. I fell in love with the Writer - you might say - and I just flat couldn't get enough of Him. Please don't assume there is some holier-than-thou motive here, like the Miss America contestant that proclaims world peace as her most fervent desire when we're all thinkin' she really just wants to say whatever will get her that crown! LOL. When I say I have a love affair with the Bible, I mean it truly is my favorite book and, try as I might, I can't seem to put it down. If you really knew me, you'd know that is absolutely true. Just ask my friends who probably get tired of hearing me talk about it! LOL. It has - for lack of a better word - SEIZED me! And, I've never been the same.

I personally think it's the perfect book! For MEN we have a book that tells them exactly what they need to know - it doesn't make them guess. Even though the directions aren't always completely clear, they know you'll get to where they're going, and have a few adventures along the way. It's biographical, autobigraphical and historical... and it tells the truth! They don't have to guess what the writer's thinkin' or what's expected of them. It has action and adventure, war, fighting, intense brotherhood and loyalty, and great romance. It's full of heroes with heroines to save, battles to win, justice and righteousness to pursue, and it somehow makes them believe they are just the one to do it!

For WOMEN it's a book that tells us just how the Hero feels about us in words and actions...just reading it makes us feel part of something important. Like the beautiful Heroine of a great adventure novel, the Hero is always looking out for her, always rushing in on His white horse to save the day and rescue His bride. It has great romance, emotion and singing. And handsome, brave men like David who write beautiful poetry AND kill the giant. It has beautiful, exquisite women like Esther who change the course of history with her beauty and her brains. And, don't even get me started on the "Song of Solomon..."

Plainly speaking, it's an AWESOME book. It is God's Words and I just can't get enough of hearing His voice thru the pages.

So I was thinkin': so many of my friends have been seized by the "TWILIGHT" series for much of the same reasons: the Hero of the tale is so in love with the girl that He will move heaven and earth to protect her and be with her; the sound of His voice and His eloquent speech melt their hearts and give them hope for just a glimpse of something that lovely. Frankly, I haven' read it, for no particular reason except that I'm pretty much ruined for any other book. LOL I do have the 1st two in my book shelf but their time hasn't come yet. But I have wondered what it would look like if we all got hooked on the BIBLE the way so many millions are hooked on "TWILIGHT"?

Simply put: What would happen if the Bible entered The "Twilight" Zone? What if everyone was talking about and reading the Bible with the same enthusiasm and interest as the "Twilight" readers. That's what I call: Entering the "Twilight" Zone. And to think it all started because a young woman had a dream and then set out to put it down on paper. Hearing the story of how and why she wrote the book just adds to our desire to share it with her.

Well, reading the Bible is like that for me and I want to share it with you! If you're up for a challenge, read Psalm 119 in the Old Testament. It's this beautiful love letter about God's Word and how much the writer loves it and craves it. (I think King David wrote it but there are varying opinions there. The only thing that matters is it is fabulous!)

Psalm 119: 18-19 says "Open my eyes to see wonderful things in your Word. I am but a pilgrim here on earth: how I need a map - and your commands are my chart and guide. I long for your instructions more than I can tell."

I love to pray this one simple sentence before I read: "Open my eyes to see wonderful things in your Word." Works every time.

I hope you'll dive in today - maybe start with Psalm 119 - and just experience the pure, simple pleasure of reading the Bible.

On that note I want to welcome you to the "Twilight" Zone. Prepare to be seized!

Enjoy!!

3 comments:

  1. My, my, Penny, how right you are! There is NOTHING about our lives that God does not address in His Word. And, in what style! I'm with you all the way!

    I don't want to sound "preachy," but your words makes me think of Ephesians 5:14b, "Awake, O sleeper, rise up from the dead, and Christ will give you light." Makes me want to say to everybody, "Awake, sleeping people, we can rise above our ourselves because His Word will give us light"... and He's AWESOME!

    This is what the Lord confirms, Penny, in what you're saying about His Word: (Psalm 25: 4-5) "Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you."

    It's ALL right there between Genesis and Revelation. And it's all for us. What a gift of life! Read it, people! You'll be glad you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you thru http://www.livelaughloveourway.com/. Very cute totes and I look forward to reading more on your blog! :)

    Stop by if you have time...
    Blessings,
    Amy
    http://worshipwhileiwait.blogspot.com
    http://gracefull-living.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, Amy. I'm so glad you stopped by. I'll definitely check out your two blogs as well. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete