Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Hang a sign on the door, "GONE FISHIN"!



This is a picture of my Dad fishin'. I adore this photo because it shows him in a posture of peace and contentment doin' the thing he loves so much. It is in the fishin' boat he finds peace and quiet, a wonderful respite from his work. He is THE hardest workin' man I've ever known and he taught me a wonderful work ethic. He and Mom both did what was necessary for their family going above and beyond duty every day.

This photo makes me think of the days when the shop owner simply hung a sign on the door sayin' "Gone Fishin'! Be back later" and we would just have to wait till they got done. Now, we'd be tweeting, and facebooking and shopping elsewhere 'cause in this day and age we WAIT FOR NO-ONE. We've completely forgotten how to wait, I think.

But, I tell you somethin'. I still believe the best things in life are FREE and worth WAITING for. I'm not always good at waiting but I'm grateful God gives me ample opportunity to practice. He is a Master at waiting! Waiting on me to give him a few minutes of my attention. Waiting on me to abide in His Word and listen to all the glorious wisdom He has for me. Waiting on me to forgive so I can be forgiven. Wiating on me to love as He has so lavishly loved me! I could go on and on but I'll simply end with this.

How 'bout we all hang a sign on the door today saying "Gone Fishin'" and just sit down a spell. Grab our Bibles or simply sit in the quiet and listen for His still, small voice to break thru the craziness around us.

Like my Dad on the lake, just be still and wait for that big fish, that big catch of the day! Feel the breeze and gentle rocking on the water, and listen for that awesome, glorious, and oh so sweet & gentle voice of Jesus saying "Come to me and let's just rest for a while. Abide in my Word and I will abide in you."

I hope you "go fishin'" soon. I'm always up for a good "fish" story.

Hmmm. I think I'm havin' fish for dinner. LOL. Happy fishing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment